Monday, November 28, 2011

Physical Education Time

How valuable is physical education time with our students?

      We preach and hear about how we need more physical activity time with our students because of all the benefits that it will have on the child, but why haven't we acted on them yet? I do not understand why education systems feel that it is okay for students to have "gym" every day for only one semester. My theory is that everyone would benefit more if teachers saw their students every other day for a WHOLE year. We need to educate our students about working out mostly every day and about having a healthy, happy lifestyle of lifelong physical activity. We can not do that if we do not enforce physical education classes for a whole year. Most students who are not involved in sports, this is the only time for them to do active- so why are we taking this away from them? Please respond back if you have an opinion or statements or any other information that you feel goes along with this.

2 comments:

  1. I agree Gina, and it almost seems like they are trying to push physical education out even more when, in my opinion, kids need it the most. My dad is a retired elementary teacher (he wasn't a phys. ed. teacher) but when he was teaching he was in charge of the after school intramural program for 5th graders. When i was in 6th-12th grade i would go and help him almost every week. I think it was in 11th or 12th grade though the school board was taking about cutting the intramural program. I simply couldn't understand how they could even consider cutting a program that 1. got kids active and 2. gave the kids something productive to do after school. I started a petition to keep the program, and I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it or not, but they decided to keep the program. It looks like that is going to be a valuable experience for me if I have to fight for something in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is just upsetting at how everyone knows why physical activity is important to us and they try and take it away.Yea, not everyone may enjoy being active but they do know some benefits on it. I feel that parents should take charge in the matter as well. I know that if I was a parent and my child's only way to be active because of finances or what not was being taken away, I know that I would fight for it. Every voice is heard no matter how big or small it is. I think people just get too insecure or scared to say anything because they do not want to feel dumb. This is a topic that I could go on forever especially since I or we are going into this field. It stinks knowning that you are going into a career where people do not care about as much as we do.

    ReplyDelete